I have an interesting discovery to share today:
Healthy broccoli cheddar soup still tastes as rich and comforting as the higher-calorie classic version.
For this recipe, I took out all the flour, butter, and cream and thickened the soup with a cauliflower and onion purée.
I loved it (no surprise), but (to my amazement) it was also 100 percent family approved.
This broccoli cheddar soup is a lighter, more veggie-filled version of the hearty, classic winter comfort food.
This is a slightly sneaky dish because you can’t actually taste the healthy cauliflower purée.
But it does add a ton of nutritional value to the soup, along with a surprising amount of rich flavor.
Serving Note: This soup is not starchy enough to hold its consistency when stored and reheated as leftovers. I recommend cutting this recipe in half if you’re only cooking for two.
I’m now convinced that broccoli cheddar soup doesn’t need a ton of butter, flour and cream to taste amazing.
It just needs the right combo of fresh ingredients and flavorful seasonings.
On the next cold, dark, wintry night, pair this soup with some freshly baked bread and let me know if you agree!
The complete printable recipe for Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 269
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 23.8g
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Sodium: 673mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 23.3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 main dish (entrée-sized) servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 cups organic 1 percent milk
- 2 pounds broccoli, stalks removed and florets chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1½ cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups organic sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it's softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook until softened, about 7 minutes more. Add the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion hand blender to puree the mixture until it's smooth and creamy (or transfer mixture to a food processor to purée).
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the broccoli and shredded carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are softened, about 5 - 7 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to a light simmer. Stir in the dijon, honey, and paprika. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully stir in the cauliflower purée and the shredded cheddar. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
I estimate approximate nutrition information at Verywell
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the dishes you create!
Check Out More Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
Check Out More Delicious Soup Recipes
You may also love: