One-dish chicken recipes are really the best of both worlds.
A one-dish chicken recipe is a hearty, healthy, delicious, comforting, meal that can please a crowd.
Plus, preparing a complete meal in one pot means it’s simple whip together, with quick and easy clean-up (hardly any dishes to wash!)
What I love about this particular one dish chicken with roasted root vegetables is that it’s healthy and delicious yet also warm, hearty, and full of rich flavor.
Because it’s so simple and easy to throw together, it’s ideal for multi-tasking (the oven does most of the work so you have time to catch up on other items on your to-do list!)
Scroll to the bottom for the complete, printable recipe.
Here’s the step-by-step for this scrumptious one dish chicken dinner:
Start With These Key Ingredients for One-Dish Dijon-Herb Roast Chicken
This recipe is filled with healthy, clean eating, whole ingredients.
Begin by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
Prepare Some Garlic
Begin by smashing a few garlic cloves to remove the skin…
…and then mince up the garlic.
Prepare a Dijon-Herb Dressing
Grab a bowl and add some olive oil, some Dijon mustard, the minced garlic, and some Herbes de Provence.
Then whisk until everything is well combined.
I love using Herbes de Provence to flavor chicken and vegetables. It’s a mixture of dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, and fennel seed, so it’s an all-natural, healthy way to add tons of delicious flavor to a dish without adding calories.
Set aside the Dijon-herb mixture for now.
Chop an Onion
Cut the root end off an onion, cut it in half lengthwise, and remove the outer skin.
Then chop up the onion.
There’s no need to take the time to carefully dice any of the vegetables in this dish.
Big, roughly chopped pieces are ideal for roasting the veggies later.
Chop Some Carrots
Cut the ends off a few carrots and roughly chop them.
No need to take the time to peel the carrots if you don’t want to – you’re not likely to taste the difference between peeled and unpeeled after roasting. Just be sure to rinse them well and try to buy organic if you can.
Prepare Some Parsnips
Follow the same steps you followed with the carrots to chop some parsnips.
If you haven’t cooked with parsnips, I highly recommend them.
They look like white carrots.
And they taste a bit like carrots, except they’re deliciously sweet.
They’re also nutrition-packed (lots of fiber, folate, antioxidants, minerals, and Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Vitamin E).
Chop Some Potatoes
Cut a few red potatoes in half lengthwise and then quarter each half.
Prepare the Chicken
Grab some skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cut each into three equally sized portions (to help them cook faster).
Measure out about 2 tablespoons of the Dijon-herb mixture and use a small spatula to spread a thin layer of the mixture over each piece of chicken.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
Cook Your One Dish Chicken Dinner
Next, place all the chopped root vegetables in a large casserole dish.
Spoon the remaining Dijon-herb mixture all over the veggies.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Stir until all the veggies are well coated with the Dijon-herb mixture.
Then cover the dish (just use foil if your casserole dish doesn’t have a cover), and cook the veggies in the oven.
(You’re now free for long enough to catch up on Pinterest and return a call!)
When the veggies are nearly tender when pierced with a fork, remove them from the oven.
Stir to make sure nothing is sticking to the pan, and then nestle the chicken pieces over the veggies.
Cover, and toss the dish back into the oven.
Clean the countertops and wash the knife and cutting board and (huge bonus!) you’re finished with kitchen clean-up before the meal has even been served.
Uncover the dish and allow everything to roast for just a few minutes longer.
When the Dijon-herb sauce begins to lightly brown, the chicken should be cooked through.
This simple dish is a unique, flavorful, gourmet-tasting twist on classic Roast Chicken and Vegetables.
The Dijon and olive oil help keep the chicken moist.
And the delicious combo of herb-seasoned root vegetables are a tasty complement to the roasted chicken.
It’s an easy recipe that’s also scrumptious, comforting, and packed with healthy nutrition!
What’s not to love about one dish chicken recipes?
Here’s the complete recipe for One-Dish Dijon-Herb Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables:
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 405
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 33.7g
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 349mg
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 29.8g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 6 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 small parsnips, roughly chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and Herbes de Provence. Cut each chicken breast into three equal portions. Use a small spatula to spread a small portion of the Dijon-Herb mixture over the chicken. About 2 tablespoons of the Dijon-Herb mixture should be used in total. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside (store in the fridge).
- Place the onion, carrots, parsnips, and red potatoes in a large baking dish. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour the remaining Dijon-Herb mixture all over the vegetables and stir until everything is well-combined. Cover (use foil if your dish does not have a cover), and cook the vegetables in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until the veggies are nearly tender when pierced with a fork.
- Nestle the chicken over the roasted veggies and place back in the oven (covered). Allow the chicken to cook for about 15-18 minutes. Uncover the dish and roast for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the Dijon-Herb mixture begins to turn golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Serve.
*I calculate nutrition information at Calorie Count.
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the amazing dishes you create!
JOIN THE FREE CLEAN EATING CHALLENGE TO START YOUR NEW, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
What happens when you sign up for free:
- Three easy, delicious, seasonal, clean eating recipes are delivered straight to your inbox each Friday, so you’re set to plan your meals for the following week.
- All recipes include step-by-step photo instructions, plus options to print or save recipes and add recipe ingredients to a mobile shopping list.
- Get ready for more energy and a fit, healthy body with your new clean eating lifestyle!