Shine Smoothie (Avocado Smoothie for Soft, Smooth, Young Looking Skin)

Shine-Smoothie-(Avocado-Superfood-Smoothie-for-Young-Looking,-Soft,-Smooth-Skin)

The Avocado Smoothie.

If my Hollywood gossip mags are correct (and I know they always are), these healthy smoothies have been popular with the rich, famous, and beautiful for years now.

Shine-Smoothie-(Anti-Aging-Avocado-Smoothie)-

So I guess I’m a little late to the picnic, but here’s my discovery for all non-celebs who may think an Avocado Smoothie sounds a little strange: this healthy breakfast or snack idea is actually pretty amazing.

Shine-Smoothie-(Avocado-Smoothie-for-Soft,-Smooth,-Young-Looking-Skin)

For several reasons:

1.) It just so happens to be an extremely healthy (vegan!) treat that takes minutes to throw together.

2.) The rich texture is satisfying and filling (it’s so thick, you can eat it with a spoon).

3.) The creaminess of the avocado combined with fruit and berries is so tasty, you’ll probably find you don’t need to add any sugar or other sweetener.

4.) If the research linking healthy, whole eating and better, younger looking skin is true, this smoothie should help transform your skin. (Good Housekeeping recently published the science-backed book 7 Years Younger: The Revolutionary 7-Week Anti-Aging Plan and devoted an entire chapter to nutrition!)

ingredients

Here are the five ingredients you’ll need to make your own avocado smoothie (along with all the anti-aging, smooth skin benefits of each ingredient):

1.) Avocado - full of monounsaturated fats that help the body absorb vitamins (like Vitamins A and E) crucial for soft, smooth, young skin

2.) Lime – packed with antioxidants that slow down the aging process in skin

3.) Coconut Milk – rich in lauric acid and antibacterial properties that keep skin clear and breakout free

4.) Mango – Rich in Vitamins A and E, vitamins that keep skin healthy and youthful

5.) Strawberries – full of Vitamin C to reduce inflammation that can damage skin tissue

squeeze-lime

Begin by grabbing a lime and slicing it in half.  Squeeze all the juice from both halves into a small bowl (it’s easier to find and discard any seeds this way).

If you don’t have a fancy citrus juicer, just twist a fork through the halves to get out every last drop of juice.

prepping-avocado

Next, grab an avocado and cut all the way around it lengthwise.

You won’t be able to slice the avocado in half because your knife will hit the pit in the center.

Just grab hold of both sides and rotate each in an opposite direction to pull apart the avocado.

peeling-and-coring-avocado

Use a spoon to remove the pit.

Then use the spoon to scoop all the fruit from the skin.

blending-a-fruit-smoothie

Add the avocado and lime juice to a food processor.

Also add a bit of coconut milk and some thawed, frozen chopped mango and thawed, frozen strawberries.

(Just throw the frozen mango and berries in the microwave for a couple of minutes to quickly thaw).

Shine-Smoothie-(Anti-Aging-Avocado-Smoothie)-

Pulse until you have a thick, smooth, creamy purée.

One batch makes 4 smoothies, so you can store the rest in the fridge or freezer for a quick and convenient breakfast or snack anytime.

Shine-Smoothie-(Avocado-Smoothie-for-Soft,-Smooth,-Young-Looking-Skin)

These super-thick avocado smoothies taste so yummy.

You probably won’t actually taste the avocado (the smoothie tastes mainly like berries and mango with just a hint of coconut), but you will notice the creaminess.

Here is the complete recipe (I include two recipe options: the first version has more strawberries for a tart, berry flavor. The second version has more mango for a creamier tropical flavor):

Shine Smoothie (Avocado Smoothie for Soft, Smooth, Young Looking Skin)

Author:
  • 1 avocado, halved, peeled and pitted
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • 24 ounces frozen chopped mango, thawed
  • 8 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed
Instructions
  1. Select ingredient list for either Option 1 or Option 2.
  2. Place all ingredients for Option 1 or Option 2 in a food processor.
  3. Puree until smooth and creamy.
  4. Serve.

Comments

1. says

This is a drink for me .. like everything – avocado is very good for us … and to do home made avocado masks – are so good .. but messy – the skin goes so soft. This I just have to try.

2. says

I’ve been going a “30 day green Smoothie challenge” were have a vegan green smoothie every morning, you gotta give it a shot! obviously not for 30 days if you don’t want to…but I would love to see you do a green smoothie on the blog :-)
    from your bossiest Australian fan – Megan xoxo

3. says

booo my computer totally deleted my comment, I think. But anyways, I was saying that Nigella calls avocados moisturizer for your insides, lol…I can’t wait to try this when it gets cooler out. Looks fab, Jen!

4. says

I love every single thing you put into this bad to the bone smoothy! Looks so tasty and wonderfully healthy! I could see this being great for your skin, hair, vitamin levels, and happiness! Deeelicious!

5. says

I’ve never tried avocado in a smoothie but it sounds a great alternative to banana! You always share such beautiful recipes that inspire x

• kate says

Could you taste the avocado? I detest them, but they are so healthy, I want to hide it in something else, like a smoothie! I’m the only one drinking any, so this recipe for 4 smoothies is too much. I can’t imagine they can STAY in the fridge for days…………
        kate

• The Scrumptious Pumpkin says

Well, for me, I can’t really taste the avocado in these smoothies. It just adds a rich, creamy texture. For leftovers, I’d recommend portioning individual serving sizes of the smoothies into small airtight containers and freezing them. Then you can just thaw and enjoy a smoothie whenever!

6. says

This smoothie looks delicious! I love the creaminess of avocado and it makes a perfect base for things like this. I’ve used it to make chocolate pudding and even made avocado ice cream before — super creamy and yummy!

7. mjskit says

I’ve never added avocado to a smoothie. I bet it does make it quite creamy not to say even more healthier! Love the mango and strawberry! What a great way to start the day

8. says

OMG JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are making me wanna run to Whole Foods right now and buy all those ingredients. I’m so making this. I’ve been wanting to make an avocado smoothie, I had something in mind, but I’ll have to give this one a try too, seems healthier than my version anyway, and anti-aging. Gorgeous photos!

9. Stephanie Orgas says

I’m allergic to coconut, but really want to try this smoothie! Any suggestions for an alternate? Just plain milk?

• The Scrumptious Pumpkin says

Yes, I think milk would work. I think the best substitute that would match the creamy richness of coconut milk would be plain low-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt. Also, since you’ll lose the coconut flavor, I’d also add a splash of orange juice or pineapple juice for flavor and a hint of sweetness. :)

10. Beverly says

I went to make this earlier today…and no strawberries. So I subbed frozen Maine blueberries and added a handful of baby spinach! Absolutely delicious! My kids had NO CLUE that the spinach was in there. Thanks for a great recipe!

• The Scrumptious Pumpkin says

Well I think I’ll have to try it with blueberries now too! Thanks so much for your comment – I was happy to hear your kids enjoyed it too :)

11. says

Amazing! I just tried it with the mango and it was so good. The mango makes it sweet and the avocado makes it nice and smooth. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Trackbacks