There is one protein that consistently shows up on my grocery list nearly every week: chicken.
So considering how often I cook with it, I’m always trying new twists to keep things from getting boring.
Recently I’ve been loving this easy homemade version of a dish often found in Indian restaurants, Chicken Tikka Masala.
This recipe is definitely unique, tasty, and perfect for a chilly evening.
Made with chopped tomatoes, a variety of fresh veggies, and a lot of healthy spices, it’s packed with flavor.
It also has a hint of spiciness from jalapeño pepper and some rich creaminess too, from coconut milk.
In an Indian restaurant, the chicken would probably be marinated for hours and slow roasted in a special oven.
Incredibly flavorful, but very time-consuming to prepare.
So for my homemade version, I keep things quick and simple by cubing and sautéing the chicken.
This easy and healthy chicken tikka masala recipe takes about a half hour to prepare.
It’s a quick, everyday meal for a busy weeknight!
Instead of butter or cream, I love using coconut milk in this recipe.
Because, in addition to creaminess, it adds the slightest hint of coconut, which is the perfect complement to the Garam Masala spice blend.
It’s a yummy new twist for chicken!
Here’s the recipe for Easy Indian Skinny Chicken Tikka Masala:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Sodium: 201mg
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 18.9g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons sesame, sunflower, or canola oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, fat trimmed and cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small carrots, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 12 ounces frozen chopped cauliflower florets, thawed
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- Garam Masala (see recipe below)
- 15-ounce container chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- To a bowl, add all the spices listed above for the Garam Masala. Stir until well combined, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté the chicken until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl, cover with foil, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pan along with the onion and garlic and cook until veggies are softened, about 1-2 minutes. Add the carrots and jalapeño and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken back in, along with the thawed cauliflower, tomato paste, and the Garam Masala. Stir until spices are well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, simmer, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and add coconut milk. Stir until well combined.
- Serve over brown rice.
*I estimate approximate nutrition information at Verywell.
You May Also Enjoy: