I love, and always will love, making healthy baked French fries at home.
But these days, I’ve been switching out the potatoes for carrots.
And I’m loving them even more than the traditional kind.
Two reasons why:
1.) Parmesan Herb Carrot Fries are so delicious, they actually make you want, crave, and look forward to eating nutritious carrots (who knew that was possible?)
2.) You can get away with helping yourself to a heaping pile of these fries. This recipe makes a very generous serving of fries for about 160 calories.
My personal opinion after enjoying these fries: people only think they don’t like veggies because, so often, they’re served plain (just simply steamed or boiled).
But it really only takes a couple of ingredients to transform carrots to addictive and amazing tasting.
(Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the complete, printable recipe.)
Here’s everything you’ll need to get started.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Begin by grabbing a clove of garlic, placing your knife flat over it, and smashing down with your palm or fist, breaking apart the garlic.
Peel off the skin and run your knife through the clove in every direction, mincing it up.
Then grate just a bit of Parmesan cheese.
A good quality Parmigiano-Reggiano packs the most flavor into every bite.
Next, grab some large carrots.
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skins.
Chop off the ends of the carrots, and cut them in half lengthwise.
Then cut each half in half widthwise, and cut the carrots into thin strips.
Important tip: try to keep the carrot strips as equally sized as possible. This will help them cook evenly, so that the small ones aren’t burning while the larger ones still aren’t cooked through.
Everyone’s heard that carrots are good for eye health, but that beta-carotene in carrots also has strong anti-aging benefits. It protects the skin from sun damage, fortifies hair and nails, and prevents premature wrinkling and dryness of the skin.
Arrange the fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
I like using parchment because it guarantees the fries won’t stick to the pan and it also prevents them from burning on the bottoms.
Grab a basting brush and coat the tops of each strip with some olive oil.
Sprinkle that minced garlic all over the fries.
Then sprinkle on some dried thyme.
Or fresh thyme, if you have it.
Thoroughly season the fries with salt and pepper.
Then bake until the fries are easily pierced with a fork.
As soon as the fries come out of the oven, sprinkle that grated Parmesan all over them.
Then enjoy a delicious plateful!
What these fries aren’t: crispy on the outside, like they would be if you’d covered them in batter and put them in a deep fryer.
What they are: very healthy and extremely addictive and yummy!
The herbs, garlic, and parmesan make these fries so flavorful.
And yet they’re low-calorie and packed with nutrition.
My new mission: make every veggie side dish taste this good!
Here’s the complete, printable recipe for Parmesan Herb Carrot Fries:
- Serving size: 2
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Prep: 12 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 3 large carrots, peeled, quartered, and cut into equally sized quarter-inch thick strips
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange the carrot strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet so that no two are overlapping. Using a basting brush, coat the tops of each strip with the olive oil. Sprinkle the thyme and garlic over the fries. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the fries about 10-12 minutes, or until the fries are easily pierced with a fork. Immediately after removing from the oven, sprinkle the fries with parmesan. Serve.
*I calculate nutrition information at Calorie Count.
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the amazing dishes you create!
JOIN THE FREE CLEAN EATING CHALLENGE TO START YOUR NEW, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
What happens when you sign up for free:
- Three easy, delicious, seasonal, clean eating recipes are delivered straight to your inbox each Friday, so you’re set to plan your meals for the following week.
- All recipes include step-by-step photo instructions, plus options to print or save recipes and add recipe ingredients to a mobile shopping list.
- Get ready for more energy and a fit, healthy body with your new clean eating lifestyle!
Check Out More Healthy Comfort Food Makeover Recipes
Check Out More Delicious Side Dishes