I’ve wanted to post my latest summer recipe for the grill (these easy grilled vegetable and black bean fajitas!) for a while.
I’m excited about this one because it’s packed with fresh summer goodness (like grilled zucchini and bell pepper, juicy tomato and creamy avocado) and, with a homemade Southwest-inspired spice blend, it’s super flavorful too.
And now that I’ve finally finished redesigning The Scrumptious Pumpkin site (until I find some new things to change tomorrow, and the next day, and the next…), I have the time to share!
The grilled veggies and black beans in these fajitas are cooked in a grill basket and topped off with homemade salsa and slices of fresh avocado.
So they’re perfect for hot summer days – no heating of the stove top or oven needed!
And with all the fresh ingredients – from yummy spices to creamy avocado to hearty black beans to zesty lime – these fajitas have a whole lot of flavor going on too.
Plus, this dish is clean, whole, and vegan, so it’s cholesterol free, low in saturated fat, and nutrient- and antioxidant-packed.
Here’s the recipe for Grilled Vegetable and Black Bean Fajitas:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 446
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 64.9g
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 364mg
- Fiber: 15.2g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 12 fajitas, 6 servings (2 fajitas per serving)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 organic zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 16 ounces organic black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoons cumin
- ¾ teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh Homemade Salsa (recipe below)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 12 organic whole wheat tortillas
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ¼ cup green onions (scallions), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- Prepare the grill for 375 degrees F.
- Layer first the onion, then the bell pepper, and finally the zucchini on a grill vegetable basket. Season with salt. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add the black beans to the basket, season with additional salt, and cook about 2 minutes more, or until beans are heated through.
- Meanwhile, as vegetables are cooking, prepare the spice mixture. To a large mixing bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Season with a pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in extra virgin olive oil until well combined.
- Immediately after removing the basket from the grill, pour the still-hot vegetables and beans into the mixing bowl. Stir and combine until the seasonings have melted into the vegetables and everything is well coated with oil.
- Spoon the vegetable-black bean mixture onto whole wheat tortillas. Top with heaping spoonfuls of Fresh Homemade Salsa (recipe below) and slices of avocado. Roll up tortillas, and serve.
- To a mixing bowl, add the tomato, green onion, garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro. Add the lime juice and season with salt. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
*I estimate approximate nutrition information using the Verywell Recipe Nutrition Calculator.
You May Also Enjoy: