Tortilla soup is a dish I really, really love.
It’s so richly flavored with spices and tender vegetables, with that delicious and satisfying crunch from tortilla chips.
It’s scrumptious comfort food that’s also packed with nutrition from the variety of fresh vegetables and antioxidant-rich spices.
My one and only concern with tortilla soup is that it tends to have a lot of ingredients, which means extra time and work.
But I’ve solved that problem by cooking by whipping up slow cooker tortilla soup.
My slow cooker tortilla soup recipe allows me to break up the preparation into three steps throughout the afternoon (1. soften the vegetables, 2. then add spices, broth, and rice, 3. then prepare the toppings right before serving).
So it never feels like an overwhelming amount of work that needs to be done right before dinnertime, when I’m already growing hungry.
My version of slow cooker tortilla soup is richly flavored but also healthy (about 350 calories per serving) and vegetarian (or vegan if you skip the Monterey Jack cheese).
I love to cook this up on a cold, wintry Sunday for a comforting evening meal – and the leftovers are perfect for reheating for lunches throughout the week!
Here’s the complete, printable recipe for Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 19.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.0g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5g
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 670mg
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 4 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small organic zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
- 32 ounces organic vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- ¾ cup frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 cup organic shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 30 organic tortilla chips
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil, garlic, onion, zucchini, and bell pepper to a slow cooker set to low heat. Season with salt and pepper, and stir until well combined. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 1½ hours.
- Add the cumin, oregano, paprika, chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth, and rice. Stir until well combined. Increase the heat to High, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 2½ hours.
- Add the frozen corn, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze all of the juice from the lime. Peel, core and thinly slice the avocado, and pour the fresh lime juice all over the avocado slices.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Top with cheese (optional) and a few avocado slices. Crush several tortilla chips to top off each bowl, and add fresh cilantro (optional). Serve.
* I estimate approximate nutrition information at Verywell.
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the dishes you create!
Check Out More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
Check Out More Vegetarian Dishes
You may also love: