I have a couple of chili recipes that are richly flavored and cooked on the stove top for an hour or longer.
They work great for a lazy, stuck-inside-because-of-the-cold-and-snow type of Sunday.
But I also have this 20-minute vegan chili recipe, which works perfectly for any other busy day of the week.
The best thing about this chili is that even though it’s meatless, it’s really full of flavor.
The combination of vividly colored vegetables make this vegan chili really healthy and packed with nutrients too (about 300 calories per serving).
Just use a deep sauté pan cook up this vegan chili, and it’s a compete meal in one pot.
So how is it possible to have a richly flavored vegan chili on the table in under half an hour?
The first key to flavor in this vegan chili is lots of colorful ingredients that require little to no preparation.
From black beans, to frozen sweet corn, to shredded carrots, this recipe is made mostly of items that don’t require a lot of time chopping or cooking (so convenient on a busy weeknight!)
The second key to flavor in this vegan chili is a special blend of five seasonings.
The seasoning blend includes really common spices you probably already have on hand in your pantry:
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- and chili powder
The third key to flavor in this vegan chili is a hint of acidity.
This ingredient may sound surprising, but red wine vinegar adds just a slight note of tartness.
Don’t worry, you won’t specifically taste the vinegar in the final dish.
But you should notice a nice contrast to the savory, smoky spices.
The final key to flavor is a hint of sweetness.
Pure maple syrup is the final secret weapon, and I know this one sounds very odd in a savory vegan chili.
But don’t skip this one!
As I mentioned above with the vinegar, you won’t actually taste the syrup.
You will taste a hint of sweetness, which helps to balance out the acidity from the diced tomatoes.
When the chili is ready, spoon it into bowls and top with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan cheddar).
Then grab some kitchen shears to chop up some fresh chives.
This vegan chili tastes best served over something starchy.
I think it tastes best served simply over whole grain toast.
But whole wheat pasta or baked potato work well too.
It’s so nice to have the option of digging into a healthy, hearty, warm bowl of homemade chili even on a crazy, hectic weekday.
Here’s the complete printable recipe for this 20-Minute Vegan Chili:
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Sugar: 7.7g
- Sodium: 104mg
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 15-ounce container black beans, thoroughly drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup organic frozen sweet corn
- ½ cup organic shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or vegan cheddar
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder, vinegar, and maple. Stir until well combined, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the black beans and corn and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chili to serving bowls and top with shredded cheddar and chopped chives. Serve over whole grain toast, whole wheat pasta, or baked potato.
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the amazing dishes you create!
JOIN THE FREE CLEAN EATING CHALLENGE TO START YOUR NEW, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
What happens when you sign up for free:
- Three easy, delicious, seasonal, clean eating recipes are delivered straight to your inbox each Friday, so you’re set to plan your meals for the following week.
- All recipes include step-by-step photo instructions, plus options to print or save recipes and add recipe ingredients to a mobile shopping list.
- Get ready for more energy and a fit, healthy body with your new clean eating lifestyle!
You Might Also Love: