I’m always excited to share a recipe, like this baked cod, that looks elegant enough and tastes bright and fresh enough to impress anyone you happen to be cooking for.
With the light, delicate flavors of zesty lemon and fresh sage, this baked cod looks and tastes like a nice restaurant entrée.
But here’s the best secret:
This baked cod is actually really easy (pretty much effortless) to make.
With only 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), it’s ready in about 25 minutes.
And nearly all of that time is spent cooking the fish in the oven, freeing you up to cook a side dish or two.
This lemon-sage baked cod dish is also packed with nutrition, with lots of:
- immunity-boosting vitamin C
- skin-smoothing potassium
- energizing vitamin B-6
- strong-vision-supporting selenium
So, yes, nutrition-filled, clean eating dishes can be really quick and easy to prepare too!
To prepare this dish, begin by mincing some garlic.
You’ll want to start by grabbing a couple of cloves of garlic, holding your knife flat over them, and smashing down, breaking off the skin.
Then peel off the skin, pile up the garlic, and run your knife through in every direction, really mincing it up.
Also add some lemon zest.
Grab a couple of fresh lemons and a microplane zester.
Use the zester to remove just the bright yellow outer skin, leaving the white pith underneath (it tastes really bitter).
Next, add one fresh herb: sage.
Sage is definitely a key ingredient in this baked cod dish.
The leaves have a delicious, fresh aroma and a really soft, velvety feel.
Just pile up several leaves and chop them up.
Then prepare the baked cod.
Mix the minced garlic, lemon zest, and chopped sage together on your cutting board.
Arrange the cod in a casserole dish or on a baking sheet.
For the best-tasting and most all-natural fish, look for sustainably caught wild cod.
Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the fish.
Season it very thoroughly with salt and pepper, then spread the lemon-sage mixture all over the top of the fish.
And bake it in the oven until the fish is flaky and solid white in color.
Then add the finishing touch to your baked cod.
Just before serving, drizzle on a bit more olive oil (use extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor).
The flavors of this lovely looking, light, flaky baked cod are bright, fresh, and delicate.
No one will guess all of the hard work you did not put into it!
Here is the complete, printable recipe for this 5 Ingredient Baked Cod:
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 1.7g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Fiber: .6g
- Protein: 34.8g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1⅓ pounds sustainably wild-caught cod (or other flaky white fish such as haddock or halibut)
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix lemon zest, chopped sage, and minced garlic on a cutting board until well combined.
- Arrange fish on a large casserole dish or baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over fish, and season thoroughly with salt and pepper. Spoon lemon-sage mixture over fish so that the top of the fish is evenly coated.
- Bake until fish is solid white, flaky, and cooked through to the center, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over baked fish, and serve.
*Nutrition information calculated at Calorie Count.
Share Your Tasty Creation!
Post a photo of your finished recipe with hashtag #thescrumptiouspumpkin.
And connect with me by following the_scrumptious_pumpkin on Instagram.
I love hearing from you and seeing the amazing dishes you create!
JOIN THE FREE CLEAN EATING CHALLENGE TO START YOUR NEW, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
What happens when you sign up for free:
- Three easy, delicious, seasonal, clean eating recipes are delivered straight to your inbox each Friday, so you’re set to plan your meals for the following week.
- All recipes include step-by-step photo instructions, plus options to print or save recipes and add recipe ingredients to a mobile shopping list.
- Get ready for more energy and a fit, healthy body with your new clean eating lifestyle!
Check Out More Fish and Seafood Recipes
Check Out More Easy 30-Minute Meals
You May Also Love: