So you probably believe that clean-eating, whole-grain, vegan pancakes are healthy and really nutritious, right?
But do you completely believe that they can also be scrumptiously, indulgently, heavenly tasting too?
I used to be afraid it wasn’t possible, but I am now absolutely sure that vegan baked treats can taste as wonderful as anything made with butter, milk, or sour cream.
And these thick, fluffy, banana-glazed coconut vegan pancakes were the recipe that convinced me.
These vegan pancakes – made with whole wheat flour, flax-seed, and coconut milk – are sweet and indulgent and perfect for a lazy Saturday morning or a special Sunday brunch.
Of course, they’re also cholesterol-free with lots of healthy nutrition too.
Drizzled with warm maple-glazed bananas, these vegan pancakes taste like the sweetest, richest treat!
This recipe makes a thick and fluffy pancake that’s filled with coconut flavor.
And the glazed bananas are the perfect complement to add tons of indulgent, rich, all-natural sweetness.
Here’s the recipe for Coconut Vegan Pancakes with Maple-Glazed Bananas:
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 449
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrates: 84.4g
- Sugar: 32.2g
- Sodium: 351mg
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings, 8 pancakes (each serving is 2 pancakes)
- ¾ cup organic whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons plus 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Organic olive oil cooking spray
- Place a large, flat-bottomed skillet on the stove top and adjust the heat to medium-low.
- Add the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Add the coconut milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 3 teaspoons vanilla extract. Whisk just until batter is smooth and well combined.
- Test to see if the pan is hot by splashing a few drops of water into the pan. The water will sizzle if the pan is ready. Spray the pan thoroughly with organic olive oil cooking spray.
- Use a ⅓ cup measuring cup to scoop the batter and pour onto pan. Leave a couple of inches of space between pancakes in order to have room to flip.
- Cook until edges of pancakes are firm and bubbles have formed in the center of the pancakes, about 3-5 minutes. Flip with a spatula, pancakes should be golden in color. Cook until second side is also golden, about 2-4 minutes more. Continue cooking pancakes in batches, adding a new layer of olive oil spray before each new batch.
- Meanwhile, as pancakes are cooking, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a small sauté pan over low heat. Add bananas, ¼ cup maple syrup, and 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract. Cook, stirring often, until bananas are softened and syrup begins to simmer, about 5 minutes. Top pancakes with spoonfuls of the bananas and syrup, and serve warm.
*I estimate approximate nutrition information using the Verywell Recipe Nutrition Calculator.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy: