As a big, big fan of risotto (it’s one of my absolute favorite dinners), I’ve experimented with many different variations.
And quinoa is right up there at the top as one of my favorite grains for risotto dishes.
Here are the two main reasons why quinoa risotto is so great:
- Quinoa really absorbs all of the white wine and shallot-infused olive oil in this recipe, just drinking it in. Quinoa may be known as a nutritious, fiber-rich, healthy grain. But it’s transformed into something so rich and so flavorful in this risotto.
- Quinoa cooks really quickly (in about 12-15 minutes). So, unlike a traditional rice risotto, this quinoa dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes.
What’s wonderful about this quinoa risotto is that it’s a nutrient-rich vegetarian dinner that’s also addictingly delicious, savory, and filled with flavor.
Here are some keys to success with this quinoa risotto recipe:
1. Begin by toasting the quinoa with a bit of shallot and olive oil in a saucepan.
You won’t believe how much rich flavor the quinoa absorbs, cooking with the olive oil and shallots.
2. Heat up some organic vegetable broth to cook the risotto.
Adding cold vegetable broth to the pot will bring down the temperature of the risotto, causing the whole process to take much longer.
So just be sure to heat the broth in a separate small sauce pan.
Or, I like to make things easy by heating up the broth in the microwave in a large glass measuring cup.
Just heat until the broth is hot but not yet boiling.
3. Prepare the veggies while the risotto is cooking.
Grab a saute pan and cook some fresh spring asparagus in olive oil for just a few minutes, so it’s tender but still crisp.
Add thawed frozen corn kernels for a hint of contrasting sweetness, and plenty of fresh thyme for lots of flavor.
4. Parmesan is a key to flavor in this quinoa risotto dish.
All it takes is a box grater and some real parmesan cheese!
5. Add salt and pepper to the quinoa risotto only at the end.
Since the quinoa absorbs so much of the cooking liquid throughout the process, it’s easy to go very overboard with salt.
So just hold off on seasoning until the very end.
I love sharing this particular recipe because, to me, this quinoa risotto is the best of both words.
It’s a meatless meal that’s filled with fiber, nutrients, and antioxidants from the quinoa, fresh spring asparagus, shallots, sweet corn, and thyme.
But it’s also richly flavored and totally delicious.
Here is the complete, printable recipe for Parmesan Herb Quinoa Risotto:
(For complete nutrition information, please check out my Quinoa Risotto with Asparagus Recipe originally posted on Food Fanatic.)
Perfect Kitchen Tools for this Parmesan Herb Quinoa Risotto: