This pumpkin lasagna is easy to make in a skillet in about 30 minutes! It’s a richly flavorful vegetarian pumpkin lasagna with onions, carrots & white wine.
Baby Trevor has me in a desperate race against time these days. His attention span for any activity is just under 10 minutes – after which time, crying commences. So just under 10 minutes are what I’ve got to complete any task.
Countdown’s always on.
Check and respond to email? I’ve got under 10 minutes.
Fold and put away clean laundry? Clock’s ticking.
You think an exercise routine ought to take more than 10 minutes? Trevor thinks differently.
Sometimes I manage to accomplish a lot in these 10-minute increments, and I feel victorious. More often, I feel tired and defeated.
But here’s one thing I’ve learned:
Did you know you can make a delicious, richly flavorful pumpkin lasagna in a skillet in about 30 minutes?
My hat’s off to Trevor for helping me figure that one out.
Here’s how I make it work:
Chop the veggies, then attend to baby.
Boil the noodles and saute the veggies, then it’s back to Trevy-Tru.
Mix it all up in the same skillet I used to saute the veggies and toss it in the oven, and then it’s Trevor’s time.
So maybe it’s not the most beautiful, towering layer-upon-layer of pumpkin lasagna you’ve ever seen.
But it is addictive, scrumptious comfort food for a chilly fall evening.
And, it’s an easy pumpkin lasagna. For those hectic days when you don’t know how you’ll ever fit a healthy homemade dinner into your schedule!
Here’s how to make the recipe:
Begin With These Key Ingredients for Easy 30-Minute Pumpkin Lasagna
This one is healthy vegetarian comfort food at its finest!
To make this as wholesome and natural as possible, I use:
- whole wheat lasagna noodles.
- part-skim ricotta cheese.
- a certified organic shredded Italian cheese blend. The one I use contains mozzarella, provolone, romano, and parmesan. This combo adds tons of flavor.
Begin Cooking the Lasagna Noodles
You’ll want to begin by boiling some water and cooking the lasagna noodles until they’re al dente.
Be sure to break the noodles into small squares (about 4 x 4-inch squares) before you toss them into the pot. This will make them easier to work with later.
Also be sure to add some olive oil to the boiling water. The oil keeps the lasagna noodles from sticking together. Huge time saver!
Next, Saute the Veggies
While the lasagna noodles are cooking away, dice up some onion, carrots, and celery.
Then toss all the veggies into a big skillet with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Cook until the veggies are softened.
Then Add the Pumpkin Along With a Few Other Key Ingredients
First, toss in some ground sage and white wine. Along with the veggies, these two ingredients are the keys to maximum flavor in this dish!
When the wine has reduced, add some chopped kale and pumpkin puree.
Season again with salt and pepper, and stir until well combined.
Mix It All Up Into One Delicious Skillet Lasagna
Important Note: These directions are for skillets that are oven-safe. If yours isn’t, just toss the pumpkin mixture into a casserole dish and follow the directions from there.
Turn off the heat and spread small spoonfuls of the ricotta all across the pan. Then toss in half the bag of the Italian cheese blend.
Next, spread the cooked lasagna noodles evenly all across the pan. And top it all off with the remaining Italian cheese blend.
Then toss it into the oven under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese on top gets all golden and bubbly.
Be sure to watch the pumpkin lasagna carefully at this point – broilers like to turn perfectly delicious pumpkin lasagnas into burnt dishes very quickly!
This pumpkin lasagna is delicious, warm comfort food that’s perfect for dark and chilly fall nights.
It’s also a healthy vegetarian dinner that’s easy enough for any hectic day of the week!
Here’s the complete recipe for Easy 30-Minute Pumpkin Lasagna:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8g
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 381mg
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin puree
- 3 ounces kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic part-skim ricotta
- 1½ cups organic Italian cheese blend, shredded (mozzarella, provolone, romano, and parmesan)
- Boil a large pot of water. Salt the water and break the lasagna noodles into smaller squares (about 4-inch squares). Add the lasagna noodles, along with a few teaspoons of olive oil to keep the lasagna noodles from sticking together. Cook until barely al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain.
- Meanwhile, as the lasagna noodles are cooking, heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until veggies are softened.
- Add the sage and white wine and cook, stirring often, until wine is reduced. Add the kale and pumpkin and stir until well combined. Season well with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
- (Note: If your skillet is not oven-safe, transfer the pumpkin mixture to a casserole dish at this point.)
- Spread small spoonfuls of ricotta over the pumpkin mixture.
- Next, spread half of the Italian cheese blend across the pan.
- Place the lasagna noodles evenly across the pan.
- Spread the remaining Italian cheese blend over the noodles.
- Place the lasagna in the oven under the broiler for several minutes, until the cheese on top is golden and bubbling. Serve.
*Nutrition information calculated at Calorie Count.