This easy and approachable version of slow cooker chicken tajine is richly flavorful, with bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, orange zest and sweet potatoes.
There’s nothing like a toddler for making you second guess any cooking skills you thought you developed over the years.
Trevor loved this slow cooker chicken tajine the first time I made it.
He ate it right up.
Here’s the play-by-play of Trevor’s reaction the second time around:
- He takes a bite.
- He raises his brows.
- He grimaces.
- He grabs another fistful.
- He smushes the fistful with everything he has.
- He holds his fist perilously over the side of his high chair.
- He sends beagle Calvin – with food now so temptingly close to Calvin’s nose – into a whining fit.
- He locks eyes with me.
- He opens his fist for Calvin to jump up and devour.
- He laughs with pure glee.
- He swings both hands back and forth across the high chair tray, sending chicken tajine flying in every direction (to Calvin’s delight).
The baby knows how to make his feelings crystal clear without saying a word, if nothing else!
But I’m excited to post this chicken tajine recipe anyway, because I happen to love it!
It’s just my kind of recipe: full of spices and fresh veggies, with lots of savory-sweet flavor.
It’s easy to get bored with the same old chicken recipes every week.
I love this dish because it’s unique and packed with unusual flavors.
It feels healthy and nourishing, with a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. But yet so full of addictive flavor too!
I’ve seen many variations on chicken tajine. But I wanted this recipe to be really easy and approachable, with lots of my favorite ingredients that I often have on hand.
So this version of “easy slow cooker chicken tajine” features skinless, boneless chicken breasts, bell pepper, sweet potato and chopped tomatoes.
I also love that this recipe is created in the slow cooker. The chicken – cooking in the tomato broth with lots of flavorful spices – remains moist and tender.
And it’s so easy!
There’s a blend of spices in chicken tajine called Ras el hanout.
You can buy it pre-made, or you can just make it yourself with spices you might already have in your kitchen!
For my own homemade Ras el hanout, I used what I already had on hand:
There’s one other distinctive flavor in this recipe that’s so complementary with chicken.
This recipe calls for orange zest!
It adds a tangy bit of citrus and a hint of sweetness.
It’s unusual and delicious!
The chopped almonds are a necessary component. Just sprinkle them over the top of the chicken tajine right before serving. The almonds add a delicious crunch to the recipe.
And be sure to serve this chicken tajine with couscous! The couscous really soaks up lots of the flavorful tomato sauce with all of the spices. It’s probably my favorite part of the dish!
Here’s the complete recipe for Easy Moroccan Slow Cooker Chicken Tajine:
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 231
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 56mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 19.7g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound organic, pastured, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 18 ounces chopped tomato
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Ras el hanout spice blend (recipe below)
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Set the slow cooker to Low heat. Add the olive oil and chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook - stirring occasionally - until chicken is cooked, about 1½ hours.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the slow cooker, still set to Low heat. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook - stirring occasionally - until veggies are softened, about 2 hours.
- Adjust the slow cooker to High heat. Add the orange zest, chopped tomato, sweet potatoes, and ras el hanout spice blend. Stir. Cover and cook - stirring occasionally - until potatoes are fork tender, about 2½ hours. Be sure to watch the timing of this step. If the potatoes cook too long, they'll become mushy.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over couscous. Top with chopped almonds and cilantro.
I estimate nutrition info by entering my recipes at Very Well.
Check out more Tasty Slow Cooker Recipes
Check out more Healthy Chicken Recipes
JOIN THE FREE CLEAN EATING CHALLENGE TO START YOUR NEW, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
What happens when you sign up for free:
- Three easy, delicious, seasonal, clean eating recipes are delivered straight to your inbox each Friday, so you’re set to plan your meals for the following week.
- All recipes include step-by-step photo instructions, plus options to print or save recipes and add recipe ingredients to a mobile shopping list.
- Get ready for more energy and a fit, healthy body with your new clean eating lifestyle!
SIGN UP FOR FREE NOW